Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Trip In One Blog

No, its not a Jeep drive this time.  I also did not post this at the time, after the end of the day's travels like I've done before.  All the photos are in this one blog.  The trip was primarily about getting the GMC from Pennsylvania to our home in Oregon, thus much of the driving was on Insterstate highways.  Nevertheless, I did stop at a few places for views, visits and experiences.  Ride along with me ...

September 25, 2021 - We flew out of ABE on our way to Oregon.  The car was left in the long term parking waiting patiently for me to return for it.  



October 20, 2021 The return to the Lehigh Valley started almost a month later so fingers were crossed that the car was still there and in good shape.  The flight out of North Bend's OTH airport was uneventfull but walking through SFO had this interesting piece of artwork!

"High Heels for Going to Heaven" by Yayoi Kusama
SFO Airport 

I spent a couple days in the Lehigh Valley and traveling out of Pennsylvania without taking any pictures.  I've been there and seen that. My routes for those days were

https://goo.gl/maps/VN6kVNTVH1JxSXLW9  Allentown PA to Lynchburg VA

https://goo.gl/maps/T8mrp9unVuwnSKMm7  Lynchburg VA to Crossville TN


October 24, 2021  From Crossville TN I went through Nashville and stopped at the Marathon Village where the "American Pickers" store is located along with a number of other shops and restuarants.  I arrived a little early, before most of the stores opened, but there are displays and artifacts about Marathon Motor Works that occupied the buildings in the early 1900s.  








As opening time approached, a line formed outside of the Picker's store.  Once inside there are many things you can buy including lots of tourist items like T-shirts, mugs, magnets, etc.  There are also some items that were seen in the show's episodes.  Those are labeled with the season and episode number and are not usually for sale.  They do have some antique items for sale as well, often very pricey!

Waiting in Line

Season 19 Episode 5 Indian Chief Mini Bike

Only $1100

I would have bought it but it would not fit into the car!

Across the street there were more displays including a number of original Marathon cars.



The route this day was Crossville TN to Marion AR 

https://goo.gl/maps/bNTT1UncGPvzKnMb9

October 25, 2021  The following day took me to Fort Smith AR through the town of Hot Springs.  Hot Springs not only has the Hot Springs National Park, its the boyhood home of Bill Clinton as proclaimed by a sign just outside of town.  I parked in the town's parking garage, which looked more like one of the bath houses and then walked around to see the sights.  

This is the pedestrian entrance to the town's parking garage!

Looking up bath house row.

Some of the bath houses are still used as bath houses.  Others have shops, restuarants and one is now the National Park Visitors Center.








Bath house fashions.


Ladies fashions.


This one was now a micro brewery and restuarant where I had lunch.

A short walk from the bath houses brings you to an outside waterfall and pool area that is a hot spring.  You can get into the water here if you like!  Yes, its hot.

October 26, 2021 From Marion AR I was on my way to Amarillo TX.  

This took me through Oklahoma City and I stopped to see the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum.


There was a display of saddles and leather work.  This saddle was listed at a price of $45,950!

Another display was about early radio and radio performers.  It included this Philco.  It looks like a 620B although it could also be a battery powered 623B.

Here comes the cavalry!

Farther down the road in Elk City, OK, there was the National Route 66 and Transportation Museum.  Lots of Route 66 displays, cars, and memorabilia.  






Next to the museum was a recreated small town.



I remember this fellow!



They even had one of those x-ray machines that would help you size the shoes you were buying!


At a rest stop somewhere along I-40 in Texas. You had to watch where you stepped! It says "Danger Rattlesnakes."



October 27, 2021  From Amarillo onward to Galllup NM with a stop at the Tucumcari Railroad Museum and the National Museum of Nuclear Science.

https://goo.gl/maps/4UdDCr2K1ciwGQfN8

As it turned out, the museum was closed so I could only look in the windows.


Lo and behold, a big Zenith console radio was in the museum.  This one says ca 1941 on it.

Some sobering things on display here!




October 28, 2021  Gallup NM to Hendersen NV with a stop at Meteor Crater.

https://goo.gl/maps/ncixjXivp3eq8zvm7

This crater is incredibly large.  Pictures just don't do it justice.  In the photo below, there are several man sized manikins at the bottom of the crater which you can only see with a telescope or binoculars.  The museum has excellent explanation of how they determined this was caused by a meteor rather than volcanic activity.  It was pretty controversial at the time.


On top of the observation platform looking out over the museum and the surrounding landscape.



Farther down the road I stopped for lunch at the Roadkill Cafe.  You may recall I was here before in my 2018 trip.

(Photo from my 2018 trip.)

October 29, 2021 From Hendersen NV it was primarily just driving to make some miles.  I stopped in Carson City NV where I've stayed a couple of times before.  

https://goo.gl/maps/nwMjKEtxdCLy7WsbA

I did take one photo along the way at a rest area.  It just seemed like a scene that needed to be captured with the desert and the snow capped mountains in the distance.



The final day of the trip was Carson City to Bandon OR.  A trip I've made several times in both directions now.  It was a bit of a rainy, blustery day but at one point at a rest stop ther were these beautiful clouds with a little bit of pink in them.




I arrived in Bandon safely in the late afternoon.  Now that we are full time Oregonians, we'll have to wait and see what the next travel adventure brings.  Thanks for being a virtual rider on my trip.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip In One Blog

No, its not a Jeep drive this time.  I also did not post this at the time, after the end of the day's travels like I've done before....